10 Tips to Boost Your Happiness!
Research shows that happier people tend to report having better physical health, greater psychological well-being, more fulfilling relationships, and a deeper sense of purpose. Fortunately, you can increase your happiness by savoring positive experiences. The act of savoring enhances your ability to find joy. That's because it increases your mindfulness and appreciation of positive experiences. Here are 10 savoring strategies (plus a bonus!) you can start using today to boost your happiness!
1. Say "Thank You!" Choose someone who has had a positive impact on your life and write them a thank you letter expressing your gratitude. This person doesn't have to be a friend of loved one; what about the young person who bagged your groceries and made you smile? I'm sure a thank you would go a long way in their sometimes hard job (and make their manager appreciate their hard work even more!)
2. Treat Yourself to Learning Something New! Regularly schedule uninterrupted time to focus on a hobby or learn a new skill.
3. Increase Your Appreciation. You can avoid taking good things for granted by imagining what it would be like if you lost them. Try skipping your afternoon coffee or sweets for a week -- you'll savor them even more after a break.
4. Snap a Picture. For the next 30 days, take one photograph a day of something you find interesting, beautiful, meaningful, or enjoyable. Then create a photo journal and relive those feelings over and over -- and encourage yourself to find more!
5. Put on Your Walking Shoes. take 15-20 minute walks each day where you only focus on positive things. Actively search for things that bring out joy, awe, curiosity, or contentment.
6. Redirect Your Thinking. When you catch yourself dwelling on negative thoughts, intentionally shift your mind to a more positive topic or perform a random act of kindness.
7. Challenge Yourself. Set specific, achievable goals that you can complete within a month. When you reach your milestone, make a point to recognize and celebrate your success!
8. Take a New Approach. Sharpen your sense to savor positive experiences in new ways. Close your eyes when you're enjoying your favorite music, when you hear the wind blowing the trees, or even when you smell something delicious, and savor the moment and the feeling.
9. Put on a Happy Face. Even if you're feeling a little down, acting like you're in a good mood by smiling and laughing can help improve your mood. Acting happy can lead to actual happiness. A smile can trick your brain into being happy.
10. End the Day on a Bright Note. At the end of each day, take a few moments to think of three positive things that happened that day. If you can't think of three things today, make sure you look harder tomorrow.
11. Phone a Friend. You don't have to be alone when you try these tips out -- invite a friend of family member to join you on your daily walk, or even learn something new together. Life is better when we experience it together.